Saturday, March 21, 2009

In-N-Out Burger

As soon as my foot hits the warm California pavement, the carnivore in me comes out. I know: Sounds weird that a Texan goes to California for a good burger, but Cali, after all, is home to In-N-Out.

In-N-Out Burger is the fresh fast food with a cult-like following. And to me, it’s the very antithesis of McDonald’s... In-N-Out is still a family-owned business, nurtured and grown over the years primarily through word-of-mouth advertising. They pay employees well and offer benefits like paid vacation, health insurance, and a 401k. Golden Arches? Not so much.

The menu exudes simplicity. You can get a hamburger, a cheeseburger, or a double-double, plus fries, a drink, or a shake. Nada mas. And everything -- from burgers to fries to shakes -- is made fresh on location. No freezers allowed.


Now that’s all well and good, but how does it taste? FRESH. The burgers are something special, old-fashioned, but without a lot of hullabahoo. The fries are definitely missing that extra something which only the fryers at McDonald’s seem to contain -- let’s call it grease from 1982 -- but the burgers and shakes more than compensate. Like they say, it’s quality you can taste.

I miss it already.

8 comments:

Jodie Eisenhardt said...

Oh my gosh ... I LOVE In-N-Out ... we go every chance we get! :) J

jodycakes said...

I am living vicariously through your photo today...wow.
I miss In n' Out so much...
GOING ANIMAL STYLE...:)

nyoirin said...

Ah Ruthie, you can't share all our secrets with those Texans!

Anonymous said...

Is it true that In-N-Out is coming to Texas?

Ruthie Johnson said...

Pretty sure it's not. My dad actually contacted the owners to ask if he could put one here. They politely declined.

Anonymous said...

A worker at one of the Vegas locations just swore that the company asked her to move to Dallas for the first Texas location opening in 2011. I hope it's true, but I wish it was Houston instead.

SoCal2TX said...

I've done a year in Houston already and I literally think I have animal style burgers and fries withdrawls. I love the fact that In-N-Out is a Southern Cali thing (with a few exceptions) But the exodus CA is experiencing...In-N-Out in Houston? Why not??

Ruthie J Miller said...

The rumor is that In-n-Out chose the Dallas market because the Houston market is nearing saturation with good burger joints... But Dallas is too damn far! I need me some In-n-Out closer.