Sunday, March 22, 2009

Loving Cup Rice Pudding Bar

Ambling down Polk Street in San Francisco last week, I found Loving Cup, a relatively new rice pudding bar.


Um, rice pudding bar? Yes! Who knew? Walk into a well-lit, welcoming small space where the lady behind the counter takes you through the flavors of the day. Loving Cup features five keen flavors of rice pudding daily, with a full rotation of about thirty. Holy cow. In my short stay in SF, I tried the pistachio, lemon-vanilla, and pumpkin... but was sinfully tempted by the chocolate-thin-mint, mango, mocha, and Madagascar vanilla. There’s certainly a flavor for every mood -- and they’re all light, healthy, and delicious.


Loving Cup is -- in a word -- dreamy. I’d love love love to see one in Houston. But could this concept even work here? It would *rule* to get beyond the ubiquitous frozen yogurt, but we’d need to find a health-conscious area with plenty of foot traffic.

So my guess is... No. Or am I just being pessimistic?

A girl can dream. [Sigh]

7 comments:

Dr. Ricky said...

First rice pudding shop I am aware of is in New York City called Rice to Riches (I think it has a website called ricetoriches.com). Very nice rice pudding, got me inspired to use mascarpone cheese in rice pudding.

Ruthie J. said...

Headed to NYC in May and can't wait to try it. Thanks for the tip!

Rita said...

Oh, Ruthie...mmmm The optimal location for this, of course, would be... (wait for it...) Rice Village...

Ruthie J. said...

Rita, Hahaha! Why didn't I think of that?!

Fernando said...

There's a great rice pudding joint in Provo, UT called Pudding on the Rice. The founders were inspired by the Rice to Rices in NYC.

Fernando said...

PS, I'm craving rice pudding here in Houston. Wish there was a store dedicated to it.

Term Papers said...

Excellent Blog every one can get lots of information for any topics from this blog nice work keep it up.