Thursday, May 14, 2009

Michelada Me, Baby.

A recent Twitter conversation left me craving a michelada, another of Mexico’s great gifts to the culinary marketplace. There are, oh, upteen jabillion ways to make one of these tangy, tasty beverages, but the basic formula is [Mexican beer + clamato] salt-rimmed glass = delicious. From there, you can add lime juice, Worcestershire, or hot sauce. And don’t forget the ice!

Thanks to a recommendation from Plinio Sandalio, I squelched my desire with this limey, tall, Tecate-flavored bad boy from the Taqueria Arandas on Shepherd. Now that’s a lotta michelada...


I hear the michelada at Ninfa’s on Nav is not to be missed. And I love the one at Connie’s Seafood on Spencer Highway as well. The time (and weather) is right, my friends... Arriba!

11 comments:

cojonesajones said...

I spent a summer in Cuernavaca, Mexico and here's the recipe from my favorite taco stand...

salt rimmed glass (a 44 ounce styrofoam cup)
the juice of 2-3 key limes, a dash of salt, 1-2 tablespoons of salsa valentina, ice, and two coronitas.

Definitely my favorite; I'd leave out the Clamato. Captain Tom's Seafood & Oyster Bar in Katy makes them similar to this recipe except they use table salt, which isn't quite as good as a coarse grain salt.

Ruthie Johnson said...

Thanks for the recipe! Sounds downright refreshing, and salsa's an interesting add. Methinks we need to find a make-your-own michelada bar at a Sunday brunch somewhere soon.

Leigh Anne Rayburn said...

gahdsoxiju bhgjk4klneedonenow rightnowohmygodewsdgh jvgksi4jkflozjrwhjed

plinio said...

im working on a bacon infused michelada. recipe soon to come.

Rita said...

Yeah, the Captain Tom's michelada is really popular - and there is also one on the east side of town on I10 (about 25 minutes from school)

Ruthie Johnson said...

Rita, I think LA and I going to Connie's on Tuesday or Wednesday after school -- Join us?!

Rita said...

Wish I could... home visits on Tuesday, tutorials and open lab on Wednesday - I'm boring at the end of the semester!

TJS said...

This lovely libation is pure heaven! I recently got home from my honeymoon to Playa del Carmen where the drink was introduced to me. Not very heavy with just the right amount of spice and tang. Love it and am craving one now!

cojonesajones said...

On a few occasions I've seen people put a raw oyster or a peeled boiled shrimp in their micheladas. Just got back from a brief trip in the state of Oaxaca. In Oaxaca, instead of putting a coarse grained salt on the rim of the glass, they use a mixture of ground chili'd grasshoppers and salt. Good luck finding any of those in Texas.

Isabel said...

I am Mexican and I agree with cojonesajones. That recipe he posted is what we know as a michelada. And yes, when friends ask about micheladas, I send them to Captain Tom's to try the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Yes Capt'n Tom's are very good, but I have found a better place called Cafe del Sol in Katy off of Mason and Morton....they are alot spicier and have a better over all flavor but Capt'n Tom's are really good as well!!!